Yesterday, INDYCAR announced that the IZOD IndyCar Series will race in China during the 2012 season. With seemingly a whole world of possibilities for the sport moving forward, we wanted to know: What is the ONE track you’d add to the schedule if you could?
We were amazed at the outcome, with votes and opinions pouring in. Thanks to everyone who participated on twitter and facebook. We appreciate your opinion and hope you have fun reading the results!
One vote each: Vancouver, Eurospeedway Lausitz, Spielberg, Zandvoort, Denver, Streets of Linz, San Jose GP, Brands Hatch, Key West, Austin (TX), Boise (ID), Daytona, Pikes Peak, Road Atlanta, Monaco, Charlotte Motor Speedway, Homestead, Streets of Columbus (OH), Rockingham (UK), The Springfield Mile, Walt Disney World Speedway, San Jose, Dijon-Prenois, Mexico City, Streets of Chicago
Two votes: Montreal, Spa-Francorchamps, Las Vegas Strip, Kansas, Silverstone, Nazareth, Mount Tremblant, Ovals (anywhere)
Three votes: Surfers Paradise, Circuit of the Americas, New Hampshire Motor Speedway, Gateway, Mosport
Four votes: Kentucky Speedway, Portland
Six votes: Laguna Seca
Eight votes: Richmond International Raceway, Phoenix, Watkins Glen
Nine votes: Cleveland
Ten votes: Chicagoland Speedway, Pocono, IMS Road Course
(Are you getting excited?!) Here are your Top Three:
#3: Michigan International Speedway (13 votes)
#2: The Milwaukee Mile (15 votes)
And the #1 place (by a HUGE margin) that you’d like to see on the IndyCar schedule:
ROAD AMERICA! (45 votes)
Yesterday, we asked for some help in compiling a great playlist for Simona to work out to in the off-season. Between our fans on facebook and twitter, we came up with a terrific, 99-song playlist for her! Not only is she sure to be motivated during her two- or three-a-days this winter, but now YOU can refresh your playlist with the help from your social media friends!
Thanks to everyone who contributed to the list. Now it’s time to get rockin’!
- Stronger – Britney Spears
- Survivor – Destiny’s Child
- Anything by Saxon
- Pre-1987 Whitesnake
- We Found Love – Rhianna
- In the Dark – DEV. Faster
- Kill Pussycat – Oakenfold
- Let it Rock – Kevin Rudolf
- Don’t Stop Me Now – Queen
- Sheer Heart Attack – Queen
- Let’s Turn it On – Freddie Mercury
- Iron Maiden – Iron Maiden
- Push It – Salt & Peppa
- I’m So Excited – The Pointer Sisters
- Eye of the Tiger – Survivor
- Anything by Eisbrecher, Oomph! and Rammstein
- Wildest Dreams – Iron Maiden
- You and I – Lady Gaga
- Run to the Hills – Iron Maiden
- Rocky 4 Soundtrack
- RESPECT – Aretha Franklin
- Ace of Spades – Motorhead
- Hot Rockin – Judas Priest
- The Fire Burns – Killswitch Engage
- Barracuda – Heart
- Pedal to the Medal – Kazzer
- Because I’m Awesome – The Dollyrots
- Combat Disco Music – Apparatjik
- Don’t Stop Believin – Journey
- Under and Over It – Five Finger Death Punch
- Riot – Three Days Grace
- I Can’t Drive 55 – Sammy Hagar
- We Will Rock You – Queen
- Anything by Beastie Boys
- Wasted Generation – Steel Dragon
- Highway Star – Deep Purple
- Reach for the Sky – Firehouse
- It’s Raining Men – The Weather Girls
- Not Afraid – Eminem
- Lose Yourself – Eminem
- Walk – The Foo Fighters
- My Own Worst Enemy – Lit
- Just a Girl – No Doubt
- Suite Madam Blue – Styx
- Crystal Ball – Styx
- Miss America – Styx
- Pork Chops & Gravy – The Ink Spots
- I’m Shipping Off to Boston – Dropkick Murphys
- Nightrain – Guns N Roses
- Bad to the Bone – George Thurogood
- She’s Got the Jack – AC/DC
- Who Are You – The Who
- Welcome to the Jungle – Guns N Roses
- Kickstarts – Example
- Green Light – Roll Deep
- Rock Party Anthem – LMFAO
- Wild Side – Motley Crue
- Kickstart My Heart – Motley Crue
- Rock This Town – Stray Cats
- Anything by Sam Cooke
- Higher – Creed
- Disney Matterhorn ride yodel music
- Don’t Stop Me Now – Queen
- Chapel Song – We Are Augustines
- Porkchop Sandwich – ZZ Top
- Unbreakable – Pride of Lions
- Speedway at Nazareth – Mark Knopfler
- Wasted Years – Iron Maiden
- The Swiss national anthem
- Possum Kingdom – Toadies
- Tubthumping – Chumbawumba
- Speed Racer – Alpha Team
- Life in the Fastlane – Eagles
- The Distance – Cake
- The Final Countdown – Europe
- Just Couldn’t Tie Me Down – The Black Keys
- Aeroplane Blues – The Black Keys
- Far Beyond Driven – Pantera
- Blame it on the Alcohol – Glee Cast (for the cooldown)
- Country Girl Shake it for Me – Luke Bryan
- Loca Loca – Shakira
- The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner – Iron Maiden
- Anything by Slayer
- Anything by Pantera
- Gypsy Lullaby – The Screamin’ Cheetah Wheelies
- That’s Right – Lyle Lovett
- Guitar Hero – Amanda Palmer
- Short Dress Gal – Carolina Chocolate Drops
- Real Wild Child – Iggy Pop
- Tough it Out – Webb Wilder
- Song #2 – Blur
- School’s Out for Summer – Alice Cooper
- Jesus Built My Hotrod – Ministry
- Black Magic Woman – Santana
- Le Disko – Shiny Toy Guns
- The Cities Alive – Rosehot
- Thunderstruck – AC/DC
- Stand My Ground – Within Temptation
- Control – Mute Math
The following is a statement from HVM Racing Owner, Keith Wiggins:
“The IndyCar community – drivers, teams, fans – arrived at the track today to compete and celebrate a championship. Instead, we lost one of the sport’s best. Dan Wheldon was a champion on the track and a great ambassador for the sport. Our thoughts and prayers go out to Dan’s family.
It’s in moments like this that you witness the strength of the IndyCar community. Even though we compete against each other week after week, it’s like we’ve lost a member of our own family. We’ll go forward into the 2012 season by reflecting on the great memories we have of Dan Wheldon.”
October 14, 2011 – Las Vegas, NV – Simona De Silvestro and her HVM Racing team have arrived in Las Vegas for the IZOD IndyCar Series World Championships. With any luck, the season finale will be the culmination of what has been a high-profile season for the team.
De Silvestro and the rest of the stars of the IZOD IndyCar Series arrived in Vegas on Wednesday to kick-off an entire weekend of events. Some of the highlights include concerts, parties, charity blackjack tournaments and unforgettable moments, like Thursday night’s closing of the famed Las Vegas Boulevard for a few parade laps.
Fans were invited to experience the fun at the racetrack as well. On Thursday and Friday, the cars were on track at Las Vegas Motor Speedway, preparing for Sunday’s race. The first two practice sessions went well for HVM Racing, with De Silvestro finishing P3 on Thursday and running over 222 miles per hour both days. Even though they did not have a good qualifying run and will start 30th, De Silvestro is looking forward to an exciting season finale.
“I’m a little disappointed with the qualifying run, but I think the Nuclear Clean Air Energy car is really good in traffic,” said the Swiss driver. “We have some work ahead of us as we try to advance positions but we’ve done it before and I’m confident in what we can do. The track is pretty fun – it should definitely be a good show for the fans to end the season.”
The IZOD IndyCar World Championship at Las Vegas will take place on Sunday afternoon at Las Vegas Motor Speedway. Pre-race activities will begin at 12 p.m. local time and the telecast of the 200-lap competition will be broadcast on ABC.
As Simona prepares for the IZOD IndyCar season finale race at Las Vegas Motor Speedway, she decided to check out the area and get familiar with the attractions. She has four pairs of race tickets/paddock passes to give away to the people with the highest number of correct guesses as to which attractions she’s visiting.
You can either tweet your answers to @HVMracing or enter your guesses below as a comment. Entries will be accepted until 12 a.m. ET. and winners will be announced via twitter tomorrow (Wednesday, October 5). Good luck! Here are Simona’s clues:
- “I’m about to enter the famous Las Vegas strip. This attraction was created in 1959 and cost only $4,000 to build and install.”
- “I’m watching more than a thousand spigots of water dance to music ranging from Pavarotti to Sinatra.”
- “I’m attending a show that features an international cast of acrobats, swimmers, divers & characters performing in, on and above water.”
- “I’m in downtown Vegas, checking out a free nightly show of more than 12.5 million lights and 550,000 watts of sound.”
- “I’m listening to an eclectic mix of live music at this legendary location that features a capacity of approximately 1,800 people.”
- “I’m enjoying a South Beach ambiance! This location that offers 2 saltwater pools, 8 individual pools, cabanas & VIP bungalows.”
- “Let the good times roll! I’m riding the attraction that lifts you 203 feet and drops you 144 feet.”
- “I’m excited to do some laps here with Pork Chop and the other drivers of the IZOD IndyCar Series on Thursday, October 13.”
- “I’m attending this critically-acclaimed show, known to put the entire audience in a state of ‘bluephoria.’”
- “I’m staring up at one of the Vegas attractions. At 1,149 feet, it stands twice the height of any other building in the city.”
October 2, 2011 – Sparta, KY – Simona De Silvestro and her HVM Racing crew had a positive outlook going into Sunday’s race at the Kentucky Speedway. Unfortunately, a series of issues ended the day early.
Throughout the race weekend, the Nuclear Clean Air Energy team worked hard to improve the car with each practice session. De Silvestro knew she was dialed in when she went out to qualify on Saturday afternoon, and put the car in P13 to start the race.
The first half of the Kentucky Indy 300 was fairly uneventful for De Silvestro and most of the field. The team planned to pit around lap 140, but brought the car in a few laps early due to a lack of fuel pressure. On restarting the car, as De Silvestro left the pits, with an overheated clutch, the car grabbed and turned her into the inside pit lane wall. After repairs, she was able to go back out for an additional few laps before the burnt clutch ended the team’s day early, putting them in P25.
“It’s obviously not the way I wanted to end this race,” said De Silvestro. “I feel like we had a solid run going. I was making passes and improving my confidence. It’s just unfortunate and I hope everyone in pit lane is okay. I’m proud of my Nuclear Clean Air Energy team for working so hard to give me a good car. We’ll keep trying and hope to bring home a good result at the season finale in Vegas.”
In two weeks, the stars and cars of the IZOD IndyCar Series will finish the 2011 season with grand fashion in Las Vegas. IndyCar has planned a plethora of activities and events for fans, leading up to Sunday’s race. The IZOD IndyCar World Championships at Las Vegas will take place on Sunday, October 16 at 3 p.m. ET. The telecast will air live on ABC.
October 1, 2011 – Sparta, KY – Simona De Silvestro came to Kentucky with a goal to continue improving her confidence on the ovals. She accomplished that goal – and more – with her qualifying run on Saturday evening at Kentucky Speedway.
During the short race weekend on the 1.5-mile oval, De Silvestro and her HVM Racing team made the most of a packed Saturday schedule that included two practice sessions and the qualifying run. Despite only turning a few laps during the day’s first practice, the Nuclear Clean Air Energy team worked hard during the second session to give their driver a car that she was comfortable with for qualifying.
De Silvestro’s qualifying time of 216.924 puts her in P13 for the start of Sunday’s race.
“I feel very happy with the qualifying run,” said De Silvestro. “I think it’s one of the best positions – if not the best – that I’ve ever had on an oval. I think the Nuclear Clean Air Energy team did an awesome job. The car is really smooth, so it’s helping me with my confidence. I realize that the bigger challenge will come tomorrow in dealing with traffic, but the car has been pretty comfortable all day today, so overall I’m really happy.”
De Silvestro will aim for a solid result on Sunday as she and the other drivers of the IZOD IndyCar Series compete in the Kentucky Indy 300, starting at 2:45 p.m. ET. The 200-lap race will be broadcast live on Versus TV, with pre-race activities beginning at 2 p.m.